About the Romanian Deadlift
VIDEO: How To Do Romanian Deadlift
Romanian Deadlift Instructions
1. Stand with the bar across the top of your feet and legs spread apart by hip-width.
2. Use a double overhand grip with hands placed at or just over shoulder width.
3. Deadlift the barbell into position with your knees and hips locked out.
4. Start the Romanian Deadlift by pushing out your hips backwards and bending forward so that the bar is lower than knee level.
5. Drive through the foot and think you’re pushing the floor away.
6. Return back to the starting position.
7. Repeat for the desired number of reps.
HOW TO: Romanian Deadlift
Precautions and Tips for Romanian Deadlift
How well you’re able to do this exercise will depend upon your flexibility and capacity to hold your spine neutral.
Use straps or a hook grip as you increase weights. Otherwise the bar can drift, causing injury.
Some like a neutral neck position while others like looking up a little.
Don’t let the bar drift away from your body as it will graze your legs and cause injury.
Wrap your thumbs around the bar. Avoid a false grip. Squeeze the bar as tightly as you can.
You’ll shift weight to the heels while bending, but make sure you try to keep the weight distributed over the entire foot without curling your toes.
Keep your elbows locked out. Don’t flex the triceps or let your elbows break neutral as it could lead to a biceps tear.