About the Sumo Deadlift
VIDEO: How To Do Sumo Deadlift
Sumo Deadlift Instructions
1. Stand with the bar across the top of your feet and legs spread rather wide apart.
2. Push your hips back and bend until your torso is almost parallel to the ground.
3. Grip the bar with hands shoulder-width apart using a double overhand grip.
4. Breathe in and pull up on the bar while seesawing your hips down to take the slack out of the bar.
5. Set your lats by pretending that you’re sqeezing oranges in your armpits. Place your armpits directly over the bar.
6. Drive through forcefully on your entire foot, pushing the floor away.
7. Keep the bar tracking upwards in a straight line while you extend your knees and hips.
8. After locking your hips, reverse the movement by hinging forwards and pushing back your hips.
9. Return the bar to the floor.
10. Reset and repeat as many times as recommended.
HOW TO: Sumo Deadlift
Precautions and Tips for Sumo Deadlift
Your stance will depend on several factors, so be willing to experiment until you find the right position for the exercise.
In the Sumo Deadlift, you’ll try to wedge your hips into the bar and get them closer together.
Squeeze your lats to prevent the bar drifting away from your body.
Hips should be lower than the shoulders when you begin the lift.
Knees should track out over the foot. Activating your glutes by pretending to spread apart a crack in the floor produces the right kind of pressure.
The bar should travel in a straight line, and keeping the crease of your armpit over the bar helps do this.
Neck position can vary, and you might pick a neutral position or look slightly upwards.
Do NOT retract your shoulder blades.
Wrap your thumb around the bar firmly and squeeze as tightly as you can, trying to leave an imprint on the bar.
Grazing your shins with each lift can be avoided by keeping the weight uniformly distributed across your foot, with 3 points of contact being the big toe, little toe and heel.
Keep your elbows locked out through the Sumo Deadlift.
ALSO: Try out our recommended guide…