If you’re looking to bulk up and want to know the best bodybuilding routines for mass, then you’ll love this overview of principles of rapid muscle gain and 3 plans for bodybuilding that work very effectively.
There are many different bodybuilding routines for mass and selecting the right one for you matters. You’ll have to workout hard with weight lifting, eat enough calories and get adequate rest. If you go about it correctly, you can gain as much as 10 pounds of muscle in a month. It’s possible, even practical – with the right strategy and disciplined training.
Truths About Bodybuilding Routines For Mass
There are many mistruths about rapid muscle gain that must be shattered if you are to have a shot at putting on weight.
1. Big Weights Work Better
While some bodybuilders prefer a high-volume program, the most effective bodybuilding routines for mass involve heavy lifts in the 8 to 12 reps range that triggers muscle growth.
2. Keep Progressing Steadily
Without creativity and ambition, you’ll soon hit a plateau in muscle growth. Never become too comfortable with any specific bodybuilding routines for mass. Keep pushing harder and you’ll continue to gain muscle.
3. Push Yourself To Breaking Point
Stopping a set before you’re at your limit is a mistake. Your goal should be to hit failure, which means you cannot continue at good form. Unless you do this, you’ll miss out on muscle gaining benefits.
4. Timing Is Important
Most bodybuilding routines for mass involve 3 phases:
- In the first phase that lasts 4 weeks, you set the foundation for later muscle gain.
- In the second 4 weeks, you’ll bring on extra poundage.
- In the final month, you’ll concentrate on maximally using your expanding muscles.
But just as you’re pacing yourself over your bodybuilding routines for mass, you should also focus intently upon whatever muscles you’re developing. If you want to build arm muscles, don’t bother about your abs for some time.
The best bodybuilding routines for mass involve making a very short list of movements and repeating them over and over. At 5 to 10 reps, there’s a magical increase in muscle gain.
Rules Of Effective Bodybuilding Routines For Mass
1. Concentrate only on what you’re doing (building mass). Exclude all else.
2. Lift and move weights, the heavier the better. Hold it for as long as possible for best results.
3. Eat well.
4. Rest well, too. Anything less than 8 hours a night of sleep interferes with your bodybuilding routines for mass.
5. Rest in between sets. 3 minutes for squat and bench exercises, with a minute and a half for others, is ideal.
6. Finish a set when you are able to go a few more reps.
7. The best bodybuilding routines for mass have fewer movements (5 to 8).
8. Get enough reps. Mass gain is highest in the 5 to 10 range.
Exercises For Bodybuilding Routines For Mass
The best workouts for muscle gain include the following exercises:
- Clean and Press: Heft a dumbbell in each hand to your shoulders, then overhead, for ten reps
- Back Squat: Essential for mass gain
- Straight Leg Deadlift: Not quite for training, but as a post-squat boost
- Pull Up: For lat development and abs
- Machine Back Rows: Needs a good machine, otherwise you might strain your back
- Bench Press: Fills out your upper body along with clean and press
- Barbell Curls: Develops general strength
- Farmer’s Walks: Stresses the entire body, but is excellent to gain muscle
Integrated into a workout, these exercises make excellent bodybuilding routines for mass. But understand that any program is only as good as how hard you work it. To pack on muscle, you must put in intense work.
3 Great Bodybuilding Routines For Mass
1. The 5×5 Program
Comprising three exercises for the major muscle groups, the workout involves 5 sets of 5 reps each. Many muscles are stimulated, releasing testosterone and promoting muscle gain. The danger is overtraining, so unless you have lifted weights for 3 to 6 months earlier, go slow. You also won’t have time for other exercise, as this itself is quite demanding.
The Workout: 5 sets of 5 reps each of barbell squats, barbell bench presses, bent over barbell rows, pull ups, side lateral raises and sit ups.
2. German Volume Training
Done for more sets and ten reps per set, this bodybuilding routine for mass engages two major muscle groups daily, alternating between them to develop muscle rapidly. It is vital to stick to the nutritional protocol for weight gain. Though not best for strength development and requiring you to take adequate rest for recovery, it is one of the excellent bodybuilding routines for mass.
Workout: Perform 2 or 3 sets of 10 to 15 reps of dumbbell bench presses, bent over barbell rows, butterfly and incline bench pulls.
3. Full Body Workouts
By exercising each muscle group (hamstrings, quads, chest, back and shoulders), this king among bodybuilding routines for mass also lets you exercise a few smaller muscles individually, if you like. It is suitable for beginners, but begin with fewer sets and reps.
Workout: These bodybuilding routines for mass involve 3 sets of 6 to 8 reps of barbell squats, dumbbell bench presses, bent over barbell rows, seated barbell military presses, barbell curls, seated triceps presses and the seated calf raise.
While any of these three bodybuilding routines for mass will work well, you can switch programs if you feel like you’ve hit a plateau and stopped growing. The key component of any bodybuilding routines for mass is that they’ll only work in tandem with a nutrition plan. So make sure you’re getting a gram of protein per pound of weight and combine it with all other bodybuilding foods for the best outcome.