About the Dumbbell Shrug
VIDEO: How To Do Dumbbell Shrug
Dumbbell Shrug Instructions
1. Stand upright with your spine in a neutral position.
2. Hold the dumbbells by your side in a neutral grip.
3. Bend forward, take a deep breath and contract the traps to raise your shoulders.
4. Squeeze hard at the top, and then lower your dumbbells back to the starting position.
5. Repeat for your desired number of reps.
HOW TO: Dumbbell Shrug
Precautions and Tips for Dumbbell Shrug
Turning your head so that you look upwards can enhance the contraction, because your traps also help control head movement.
The entire movement should be smooth and controlled. Sudden jerky movements can lead to neck injury.
The traps respond well to high reps, so tailor your workouts accordingly.
Do NOT jerk the weights or bounce them around, and limit momentum based motion. It doesn’t matter how much weight you shrug, only that you have good form.
Avoid jutting your head forward when you squeeze the traps. Neck injury is common when your neck position is compromised.
To increase the intensity of the dumbbell shrug, pause near the top of the movement.