Dumbbell Side Raise
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases at no additional costs to you.
About the Dumbbell Side Raise
Video: How To Do Dumbbell Side Raise
Dumbbell Side Raise Instructions
The Dumbbell Side Raise builds your upper body, giving you the cherished “V” shape.
1. Hold one dumbbell in each hand and stand upright with arms by your side and palms facing your body.
2. Keep the dumbbells slightly away from your body, maintaining tension on the side delts. Now you’re ready to begin this exercise.
3. To execute the Dumbbell Side Raise, gradually bring up the dumbbells to shoulder height without letting your wrists go above your elbows while lifting the weights. If this happens, the load shifts off the side delts to the front delts.
4. At the top of the movement, hold steady for a moment before slowly lowering the weight back to where you started.
5. Repeat for as many reps as your workout demands.
How To: Dumbbell Side Raise
Precautions and Tips for Dumbbell Side Raise
Always keep the dumbbells away and don’t let them touch your body.
Many people get the Dumbbell Side Raise wrong because they forget it’s an isolation exercise that focuses on stretch and muscle contraction, not on how much weight you can lift.
Rep speed must be slow and controlled. If you use momentum to help you lift heavier weights, you’ll get less from the Dumbbell Side Raise than if you use correct form with lesser weights.
You should always keep your elbows above your wrists. If the wrists come up further, you’ll shift focus to the front delts. A simple way to ensure this is to tilt the dumbbells down as you lift them, like you were pouring a jug of water.
By holding the dumbbells away from your body during the Dumbbell Side Raise, you’ll keep your side delts under tension through the entire set which maximizes muscle growth.
ALSO: Don’t miss our recommended guide…
Dumbbell Side Raise