Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases at no additional costs to you.
About the Pull Up
VIDEO: How To Do Pull Up
Pull Up Instructions
1. With your arms pronated, grip the pull up bar with hands a little more than shoulder-width apart.
2. Breathe in deeply, squeeze your glutes and brace your abs.
3. Depress the shoulders and drive your elbows straight down towards the ground while activating the lats.
4. Pull your chin up to the bar until your lats are fully contracted.
5. Slowly lower yourself back to the start position.
6. Repeat for the desired number of reps.
HOW TO: Pull Up
Precautions and Tips for Pull Up
A thumbless grip increases the intensity of the pull up because biceps involvement is reduced.
Hold your head neutral, looking either straight ahead or slightly up. If you hyperextend the neck, you’ll compensate through your spine.
If the bar is low, you may cross your ankles and bend at the knees slightly to get clear of the ground.
Do NOT overextend the lumbar spine. Squeeze your glutes and brace your abs to prevent this.
Once your lats are fully flexed, don’t continue by compensating with pecs. This may cause shoulder injury.
Lower yourself to full extension at the elbow, but don’t lock out fully or you’ll place too much strain on the ligaments of your elbow and shoulder.
In the beginning, you may not be able to complete a full pull up. Start with a flexed arm grip or with slow negatives and work your way up.
You don’t need to use straps or kips for a pull up.