Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases at no additional costs to you.
About the Squat
VIDEO: How To Do Squat
1. Set up with the barbell just below shoulder height and loaded with your chosen weight.
2. Stand under the bar with your feet apart.
3. Position yourself in such a way that the bar rests on the muscles on the top of your back, not on the nape of your neck.
4. Take your hands over the back, and grip the bar with a wide, secure grip.
5. Bend at the knees and straighten your back to prepare to take the weight off the rack.
6. Keeping your back straight and eyes up, push through the legs and lift the barbell off the rack.
7. Take a step back. Stabilize yourself. Then lower your body while still facing forward. Your buttocks should come out and drop straight down.
8. Squat until your thighs are parallel to the ground.
9. Raise your body back up by pushing on your heels.
10. Do NOT lock your knees when you stand up, and repeat the movement.
11. Do as many reps as you want.
HOW TO: Squat
Precautions and Tips for Squat
Get your technique right before loading on heavier weights. If your lower back hurts, there’s a problem with your position or form.
Keep your back straight, not rounded. By keeping your eyes facing forward, shoulders back and core muscles tensed, you’ll ensure the movement is smooth and correct.
Do NOT push off the balls of your feet. This will strain tendons and joints causing injury. Curling your toes helps.
Do NOT lean forward. This happens if your hips move up faster. Keep reps slow and controlled, stick your buttocks out as you come down.
Your hips should drop straight down. Knees should NOT track over your toes.
For the full potential, you should squat until your thighs are parallel to the ground.
Do NOT point your knees in or out during the squat.