About the Stiff Leg Deadlifts
VIDEO: How To Do Stiff Leg Deadlifts
Stiff Leg Deadlifts Instructions
1. Stand with your legs slightly bent and shoulder width apart. Place the barbell over the top of your shoelaces. Push the hips back and bend over until your top half is parallel with the floor(Imagine a hinge at your hip and bend forward.
2. Reach for the barbell and grasp it with both hands with a overhand grip by placing your arms shoulder width apart.
3. Spine should be neutral and hips should be at the same level as shoulders when bent over.
4. Try to push the floor away with your foot for this exercise to be effective.
5. Bar should traverse a straight line as you straighten your knees and hips.
6. As you straighten up and the hips are locked start reversing the move by pushing the hips back and moving forward as if your hip was hinge.
7. Return the bar to the floor and repeat as many times as needed.
HOW TO: Stiff Leg Deadlifts
Precautions and Tips for Stiff Leg Deadlifts
Though very similar to conventional deadlift, the person will start off with hips slightly higher and shins vertical. Hips and shoulders are at same height when bent over.
Bar should track a straight line and not drift away from the body.
Deadlifts can be started off rack/or off floor.
Knees should be soft and move should be made from the hips. Don’t arch the back.
Neck position is based on individual body type with some keeping their chin tucked in throughout the lift while others look up. Experiment and find a comfortable position.
Wrap your thumbs around the bar. Squeeze the bar hard.
When you hinge over your hips naturally you will see that the weight shifts to the heels. Resist this and instead try to distribute it over the whole foot.
Elbows should be locked out and triceps un-flexed.
Stiff Leg Deadlifts