About the Underhand Barbell Row
VIDEO: How To Do Underhand Barbell Row
Underhand Barbell Row Instructions
1. Load weights on the barbell and stand with feet at shoulder width apart.
2. Bend at your knees, squatting down to grip the bar. Use a reverse grip (thumbs at the top of the bar), with hands more than shoulder width apart.
3. Hold the back straight. Stand up so the bar is at waist level.
4. Bend slightly at the knees, keeping your back straight so that the barbell slides down your thighs to just below knee level. This is the starting position, and you should retain this stance throughout the Underhand Barbell Row.
5. Pull the bar up to just below your chest.
6. Squeeze your shoulder blades together at the top of the movement.
7. Slowly bring down the bar to the starting position.
8. Repeat for the desired rep count.
HOW TO: Underhand Barbell Row
Precautions and Tips for Underhand Barbell Row
At the top of each movement, pause and squeeze your shoulder blades together.
Do NOT drop the weight down quickly. Controlled, gradual lowering gives the best effect.
Hold your back straight all through the set.
Keep looking forwards with your head straight for the entire Underhand Barbell Row set.
Before adding on too much weight, hone your technique until you have good form. Otherwise you run the risk of back injury.
HEADS UP: Don’t miss our recommended guide…
Underhand Barbell Row